Granny Smith and White Cheddar Soup
August 30, 2016
A soup worthy of a bountiful apple harvest.
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Yields: 6-8 servings
For apple relish:
11. For relish, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cover and place in fridge to remain cold and for flavors to meld.
22. For soup, melt butter in a medium saucepan until melted. Add apples and onions and and sautee for five minutes or until lightly golden.
33. Add flour and stir into apples and onions and cook for a few minutes. Add apple cider and bring to a boil. Add heavy cream and water. Once boil is achieved, drop to a low simmer, cover and cook for half an hour.
44. Remove from the heat. Puree mixture either in a tight lidded blender on low or with a stick blender. Careful: it’s hot. Once smooth, place mixture on low heat and add cheese. Cook until silky and smooth.
55. To serve: ladle hot soup into bowl. Top with reserved relish and fresh thyme. Serve with fresh bread.
Got a fondue craving? Double the amount of cheese and you've got crowd pleasing fondue.